Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Week one in the books!

The first game of the 2013 NW Jr derby season is in the books!  SDB Galaxy Girls met the KDB D-Bombers as the first bout of a double header up in Belingham, WA.  While I was not there, I did get a chance to talk to a few people who were and got some reports on the action during the bout.  From what I heard, KDB actually pulled ahead in the first half before a high scoring jam by Lilly Lightning.  At the half, the score stood at 67-127.  From there, the Galaxy Girls ruled lead jammer and control of the scoreboard, ending the game with a final of 133-252.

Photo by Kim Lincoln
Then comes the bouts I was at, I5 Rollergirls vs JBLM.  While I was busy during the bouts doing NSO work, I did get to see some amazing roller derby!  I hjad the opportunity to see the JBLM Bettie Brats a few weeks ago in a bout against my own SJRD.  It was clear that they were working hard, developing strategies and practicing hard for their game against the I5 B team.

The first half saw the I5 squad zooming to a 40-0 lead in two jams on the back of a massive 35 point jam by Maya Massacre.  Fom there, the I5 squad was spending more time in the box than on the track, allowing the Brats' Stranger Danger to take a 65-57 point lead 5 jams later with a 34 point power jam.  Karmic death tied it up in the next jam (69-69).  From there I5 kept the jams on lock-down, snagging lead and grabbing 4 and out decisions and taking the lead for good.  At the half, JBLM was still in easy striking distance with I5 only ahead 100-84.

The second half saw the I5 squad coming out and doing what they know best.  Strong, powerful jamming and precision teamwork coupled with crippling defense nearly shutting down the scoring efforts of JBLM.  The Brats only managed to score in 4 of the 26 jams while Tiny Terror, Maya Massacre and Karmic Death racked up 20+ points each in the same number of jams.  At the end, the I5 B's took the victory lap with a final score of 276-117.

Three cheers for the Bettie Brats!
Stranger Danger - This kid is awesome.  Great agility and speed and a great head for being where he needs to be.  His team leading 43 points earns him a cheer!

Lil Fox - Scoring 27 points and a 40% lead jammer rate, as well as some impressive turns at pivot and blocker earn her the second cheer for the Bettie Brats!

Kill Joy - Skating in a huge number of the jams at Pivot, she kept her effort up through the entire game and earns the third cheer!

Three cheers for I5 B team
Maya Massacre - 114 points, 12.67 per jam average, 78% lead rate.  Nuff said!  She wins cheer number one!

Karmic Death - Just behind Maya Massacre with 87 points, 12.43 per jam and winning an 86% lead rate? Cheer number 2!

Photo by James McDaniel
Barbie Brutal - While she led the team in penalties (4), she also led the blocker stats!  She was on the floor more than anyone else on the team, all of it as blocker.  Her jammers scored 185 points with her on the floor, earning her a well deserved 3rd cheer!

A huge thanks to James McDaniel and Kim Lincoln for use of their photos.  See more!

I5 A v JBLM Roller betties
D-Bombers v SDB Galaxy Girls

Coming tomorrow, I5 A v JBLM Roller Betties in a battle of junior derby vs an adult team!

1 comment:

  1. So what happened with the juniors vs the adults?

    ReplyDelete