Monday, April 25, 2011

Weekend NW wrap-up

As mentioned last post, there was a lot going on this past couple of weekends! 

This was the two weeks of new teams bouting for the first time, as the Fallen Brats took on the Kitsap Derby Brats in their first, official bout, Walla Walla Scallions took on the Spokane Pixies and the SDB Tootsy Rollers took on the I5 Rollergirls' B team.

  The Battle of the Brats was reportedly fierce, and Kitsap took the game 393-202 in a scoring extravaganza (Kitsap likes to score all the points, after all!). Number 44 of the Fallen Brats was given the MVP by Kitsap (no name available, sorry!).  I have reports that the Fallen Brats showed some great potential in this bout, and they should definitely be hungry for the future!

Walla Walla Scallions and the Spokane Pixies battled it out on the 16th.  This was Walla Walla's first bout, and they represented themselves well.  In the end, the Pixies' experience proved too much to overcome as the final score was 213 - 100.  I look forward to seeing the Scallions as the season progresses!

The bout I attended myself was the Seattle Derby Brats' Tootsy Rollers vs. the I-5 B team in a positional contest.  I was not able to take my usual notes (I had a microphone in my hand instead of a pencil), but I did have a great vantage point standing right behind the scorers table as I called the bout!

While the Tootsy Rollers have all been in several bouts before on their home teams, they had never had an opportunity to put together a travel team. The coaches did a great job, despite the fact that the team had never even skated all together in a practice!  I-5 had similar difficulties, given that they had only ever bouted once, and that a couple of months ago in Eugene. 

Things started out grim for the Tootsy Rollers as I-5 got out to a 20 point lead, but the Tootsies gave it their all and brought it back to within one point at the half (87-86 for I-5).  The second half was a flurry of walls, power jams and scoring as the lead changed at least 4 times!  In the end I-5 was victorious, 142-136, but the Tootsy rollers will definitely be back for more! A rematch already being scheduled in Burlington on May 21st!  Maya Massacre of I-5 and Feline Fury of SDB were given the MVP awards, and they were definitely well deserved!

All in all, an exciting couple of weekends for NW Junior Derby!  This coming weekend is a great match up which I will be previewing in the next couple of days.  I-5 Rollergirls A team and the Portland Rosebuds are coming to the Southgate Roller Rink in West Seattle.  That one is going to be one to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment