Thursday, April 14, 2011

New leagues in the mix and up and coming contests

So there are some new up and coming Junior leagues here in the northwest! 

The Fallen Brats of Olympia had an invitational scrimmage last Saturday involving the Kitsap Derby Brats, I-5 Rollergirls B team and the Seattle Derby Brats positional Division I  juniors.  A great time was had by all, and we welcome Fallen Brats to the scene!  They have their first full bout as an opener for the Slaughter County - Jet City Pink Pistols bout on the 23rd at the Kitsap fairgrounds against the Kitsap Derby Brats, and I definitely look forward to seeing them play!

Also fairly "new" on the scene is Toxic 253 out of Tacoma.  I don't know a lot about them, but I am beginning to hear rumblings that they may be bout ready soon and are looking for someone to play.  If anyone from Toxic 253 reads this, please contact me! 

There is even a youth league on the banked track, as Tilted Thunder's Rail Peeps are taking to tracks both flat and banked, cross training with SDB's Galaxy Girls! 

Add to this list of new leagues:  Fort Lewis Junior Betty league (coached by SDB's own Lilly Lightning) on the tootsy level, Walla Walla Scalions and Bend Oregon's Cinders on the full contact level, and we look to have an incredible amount of expansion in bouting opportunities next season!

Speaking of bouts!  On the 23rd, the SDB Tootsy Rollers will don the black and silver against I-5's B team in a positional contest followed by a black and white scrimmage involving I-5's A's and SDB's upper division juniors. Should be a fun, derbyfull day for me since I am also going to the Kitsap bout!


Then, of course, on the 30th is I-5's bout against the Rosebuds. Many people are loking forward to seeing these two powerhouse teams go at it, and I am proud to count myself amongst their number. I hear it's part of a double header with a mens derby bout, but it's the juniors I am going to see!

Junior Derby is growing fast in the Northwest.  Youth Leagues are popping up all over the place across the nation and the world.  It's so awesome to see the promise that was junior derby come into its own.  It has been said that a sport hasn't really hit the point of sustainability until the youth begin to play.  The formation of youth leagues worldwide and the interest they are generating amongst both boys and girls is a definite bellwether of things to come for men and women leagues everywhere.

The future of derby is, definitely, now.

4 comments:

  1. my little niece is a member of the junior league, and she absolutely loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is on the Toxic 253 Jr. Team and she is raring to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Strict9Sisters (12-18) and Hazardous Response (6-11) are needing some scrimmages. They are ready to rumble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! We look forward to seeing you! send me an email to president at seattlederbybrats dot com and we'll get something planned for when we're back in regular season!

    ReplyDelete