Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Featured Skater for April – Braidy Punch!

This month sees another NW Junior Derby star graduating to the adult leagues!  Braidy Punch of the Portland Rosebuds has her final bout as a junior against I-5 on April 30th in Seattle’s new/old Southgate Roller Rink.
I have greatly enjoyed watching Braidy skate.  As with most of those I see as the “stars” of Junior Derby, she is a true triple threat.  On the jammer line, in the pack or as the pivot she is a force to be reckoned with!  Not only that, she is an inspiring leader for her team, bringing their spirits up in defeat by dancing crazily on the line before the final jam starts or helping them resolve the various issues that come up in a junior derby team, she has definitely been an asset for the Buds.
She will be missed as she goes off to the PDX Fresh meat squad.  I look forward to seeing her skate in “the big league”!
Name - Ruby Weymouth

At what age did you start skating?
I got rollerblades in 7th grade because they were cheaper than quads and skated to school. I got quads in 8th grade, and continued to skate the streets while I was helping start the Rosebuds. I started derby on May 4th, 2008 when I was in 9th grade.

When did you first find roller derby?
My dad and I saw some skaters at a nearby park and asked them what they were doing. They said roller derby and I got really excited because I loved skating. My dad, being the awesome suspender-clad hero that he is, took me to a bout and it changed my life.

What was the best thing about skating with your league?
I love my teammates. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of girls. I have met so many friends, and they have been so supportive and nice to me in my time as a rosebud.
A team that is able to break out in a dance party and just have a great time in the last 5 minutes of a game because we knew we were losing and we couldn’t do anything about it pretty much qualifies as the best team ever in my book.

Is there a skater or team you see as an inspiration to you in roller derby?
Oh hell yes. All of the Wheels of Justice. Scratcher in the eye in particular. The praise she has given me has meant the most because it was very honest, and clear to me she wasn’t’ saying it just to make me feel good. And because it was coming from Scratcher in the eye! Need I say any more?!  Oh, and of course Honey Hellfire!

Now that you are graduating from and going out for the adult league, what do you think will be the biggest challenge?
Getting used to blocking and getting blocked by a pack where most of the people are bigger than me. I may look like I hit hard when I’m against people half my size, but I probably won’t anymore once I move up.

How do you feel Jr Derby has prepared you for the adult leagues?
Very well of course! I’ve learned a dungload from junior derby!

What advice would you give skaters just starting out in Jr Derby?
Stay on the line and listen to your veteran teammates.




No comments:

Post a Comment