Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wild West Showdown at a glance

This past weekend was the Wild West Showdown.  For the first time, the juniors were mixed into the main venue where they played a 9 team, double elimination tournament.  The 6 A teams all met in the first round for a ranked bout, meaning each team now has at least one game for the rankings in July.  

The visitors?  Greater Edmonton Junior Derby (Oh, Canada!), Foco Jr derby (Fort Collins, Colorado), and the Nashville Nashvillians.  

This was a double elimination tournament playing full 60 minute bouts.  16 bouts, two days, SO MUCH JR DERBY! Huge hits, broken records, awesome agility, brilliantly executed strategy, quick adaptation and learning... As usual, the kids did great things.

But 16 games?  That's a lot of stats!  As such  I decided very quickly that keeping full stats across all of the games would not be possible if I valued my sanity.  I also had to choose which games I wanted to cover fully, since there were some overlaps on scheduling. I did get Melanie Adams to keep stats for the Rosebuds bout I wasn't able to cover until the second half.  She should have something written up soon.

Over the next few days, I will be posting up write-ups of each of the bouts, as well as offering some of the observations on the tournament.

I *will* say; Northwest Roller Derby?  Still the prettiest.  Here are the scores over the weekend. 

Bout 1: Greater Edmonton defeated the Fort Collins Spartan Babes 253-121; 
Bout 2 (NW Ranked): Emerald City defeated Port Scandalous 244-234; 
Bout 3 (NW Ranked): Rose City 263 over Kitsap 128;
Bout 4 (NW Ranked): I-5 Rollergirls defeated Seattle Derby Brats 177-173

Bout 5: Nashville defeats Greater Edmonton 335-132; 
Bout 6: Port Scandalous defeats FoCo 410-116 (Foco Eliminated); 
Bout 7: Seattle defeated Greater Edmonton 355-129 (Edmonton eliminated) 
Bout 8: Kitsap D-Bombers defeated Port Scandalous Roller Punks eliminating them by 234-216; 

Bout 9: Rose City defeats Emerald City 235-112; 
Bout 10: I-5 defeats Nashville 348-173; 
Bout#11 Galaxy Girls eliminated Reservoir Dolls 172-71 in an abbreviated 30 minute bout (It was nearly 10pm); 

Bout 12: Kitsap Wins over Nashville 265-165 (Nashville eliminated); 
Bout 13: I-5 hands Portland their first loss 201-159; 
Bout 14: Galaxy Defeats D=Bombers 237-114 (Kitsap Eliminated)
Bout 15: the Rosebuds defeated Galaxy Girls 182-159 (SDB Eliminated) 

Wild West Championship: I-5  is undefeated for the weekend, 162-128 over the Rosebuds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment