Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I5 wins big against Rosebuds 251-114

This past Sunday, I5 went to Portland for the first Rosebuds home game at the Hangar in Oaks Park since 2011

When I5 and the Rosebuds met twice in one day at Wild West Showdown a couple of weeks ago, everyone knew it was going to be a battle both times, and it was!  Both teams fought hard for every point, and the scores remained fairly close both times.  This time?  It was a battle, and both teams fought hard for every point, but I5 took full advantage of every opportunity in a 251-114 victory.

The Buds took an early lead as very strong defense allowed Tempest Fugit to lap a struggling Maya Massacre for a grand slam the hard way.  Up 13-5 they looked to capitalize, but Dee Stroir had different plans.  She and her defense worked in harmony to answer the grand slam, giving I5 the lead 14-13.  Rainbow Dash answered once again, passing the I5 jammer on the track and throwing up another Grand Slam to get the lead 20-14 for the Buds.

Then came the 1-2 punch that rocked Portland on their heals.  Dee Stroir grabbed 2 grand slams for 13 points, and Lex Celerator found herself the beneficiary of a power jam thanks to Little Bo Weep being coerced into cutting the track.  She scored 24, giving I5 the lead 51-20.

Portland fought back hard, grabbing lead in four of the next 5 jams, but the I5 walls and the speed of their jammers held the Buds to a mere 6 points across that period.  I5 started to switch gears and the lead began to grow.  In the final 10 jams of the first half, the Buds scored 10 points thanks to a power jam handed to Little Bo Weep by Lex Celerator cutting the track.  Over that same period I-5 scored 78.  At halftime, the score stood at 133-36 in I5's favor.

During half time, there was a massive dance party on the track.  This seemed to energized the Rosebuds as they outscored I5 15-6 in the first five jams before Dee and Lex combined for another 47 points after their team killed a Portland killed power jam opportunity (holding both Rainbow Dash and A-shock scoreless).

From there, it really became a tale of the Power Jams.  The teams split on lead jammer (each one gaining lead half of the jams in the second half).  When not in power jams, they were fairly even on points, speaking to the evenness of these two teams.  The difference really came in the power jams.  Portland had 3 opportunities for 48 points, I5 had 5 for 87 points.  I5's penalty killing prowess combined with the speed and agility of their jammers just edged out Portland's power.

In the end, I5 stood victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment