Friday, March 30, 2012

Featured skater for March: Red Rager!



Red Rager, Photo by Eric Korn

Welcome to the first featured skater article for 2012!  For March, the skater I have chosen is one I have watched develop for the past few years, and who I think has a very bright future in derby, both junior and beyond: Kitsap Derby Brats’ Red Rager.
Red is a leader on her team, offering some intense and intimidating blocking in the pack and acting as a tough, physical jammer when the demand arises.  She was definitely part of Kitsap’s successes last Sunday against I-5.

She also has been spending some time coaching for the Kistap Tootsy Rollers, teaching the next generation of Kitsap superstars.

I had a chance to send Red some questions, which she graciously agreed to answer.  Thanks, Red, and I look forward to see you skating against Portland!

NWJRDBlog:  At what age did you start skating?
RR:  I started when I was thirteen, almost fourteen, in November of 2009 is when I went to my first derby practice and started to really roller skate. It was right after the movie Whip It came out, and I saw the Slaughter County Halloween bout which is what really spiked my interest.

NWJRDBlog:  Before roller derby, did you have any experience playing any other sports? Or did you follow any other sports?
RR: I used to play soccer for a couple years but had to take some time off because of an injury. When I found derby I was already looking at other sports, like football and wrestling to join. It was by chance that I saw Champ Pain at the Slaughter County bout and she told me about Jr. Roller Derby.

NWJRDBlog:  What are some of your favorite memories about skating with your team?
RR:  My first practices are some of my favorites; I could barely skate and looked like a new born giraffe on ice. Then when I finally got the hang of staying up, I was whaled on by all the veterans and they never let up, but they made me who I am and wouldn't change that. There was also a bout last season where our team was skating against I-5, we were so in sync that we felt unstoppable, we lost but we sure played our hearts out. Whenever our team plays well and we can put up a fight against any team those are my favorite memories.


NWJRDBlog:  Who are some of the skaters, junior or otherwise, you look up to?
RR: I look up to any well playing, sportsman-like skater who plays for the love of the sport. I look up to the people who love to play.  Rollen Dirty from Slaughter County was someone I admired before she retired, and Darth Maulher also from Slaughter, she’s unstoppable.

NWJRDBlog:  Which is your favorite team to play against and why?
RR: I would have to say I-5 because they are such a challenge. They pull strategies and plans out of who knows where and it makes us have to rethink our own plans and really live in the moment. They really put us to the test and help us better ourselves. We're also starting to catch up, so watch out! KDB is always ready. ;)

NWJRDBlog:  I noticed you were working with the Tootsie Rollers at the bout last weekend.  What's your favorite part of coaching?
RR:  I love spending time with the girls; they are the highlight of my day. Thunderstuck is a really great coach for them and working with other KDB Brats is really fun. When the Tootsies can pull off what we've been teaching them (like the snowplows and falling small) I'm really proud of our girls and that’s the best feeling.

NWJRDBlog:  When you're not doing derby, what do you do for fun?
RR:  Mostly homework, I have a lot of art projects do and I try to finish those, but my friends and I really like to knit. I'm kind of a hermit and I don't like to leave my house but when I do I like to thrift shop or go to dollar skate night.

NWJRDBlog:  What advice would you give skaters just starting out in Jr. Derby?
RR:  Don't be afraid of the sport, you are the only one holding yourself back. Take chances and treat this sport like any other sport you would play, with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment