Friday, March 4, 2011

"Graduation" Day

One of the oldest mottos in Jr Derby is “The Future of Derby is now!”  Skaters in junior derby figure to make a huge impact on the game as they graduate from their leagues and join the ranks of the adult derby world.  In Texas and Arizona, this is already occurring.  Here in the Northwest, we are just beginning to see the impact. 
Skaters from SDB, Portland and Eugene have graduated from their leagues:  HeffHerUp for the Rosebuds is now on PDX’s fresh meat, and Twilight Temptation from Eugene’s Jr Gems program is moving on to ECRG.  Boxher Briefs graduated from the Seattle Derby Brats and went on to start an adult league of her own! 
This year, even more will move on, with Kimora Lee Sinnin and Braidy Punch moving up in Portland; Hardley Sane, Mutch Mayhem, Rosie Basher and Speedy FoulMouthHer all moving up from Kitsap, and Thumpurr graduating from SDB, the adult world in the NW had better be ready!
Since most of these players have years of training already under their belts, adult leagues look to benefit greatly from skaters who already know the game and can apply that training to whatever teams they land on.
In many youth leagues, the girls also have programs which embrace the “for the skaters, by the skaters” attitude in the WFTDA.  SDB has a skater council making some governing decisions with board oversight, and other leagues have such things in place as well, so not only do they figure to get trained skaters, they will be getting girls who have the benefit of already understanding the derby culture!
Several adult leagues in the area have already moved to take advantage of this.  Rose City and Eugene have transfer programs in place where girls from the youth leagues can transfer directly into fresh meat for the adult leagues.  Jet City has lowered their entry age to 18, and the Tilted Thunder Rail Birds embrace skaters moving up as well.  Rat City continues to hold out, but there is a movement to allow girls from Junior Leagues to enter the Rat Lab.
At Rink Rash Mayhem, it was my great pleasure to see Twilight Temptation skating in her final bout in Junior Derby.  Since I first saw her skate, I was impressed with her poise in the pack.  I know she will have great success in her future derby career!  I had a chance to sit down and ask her a few questions about her derby career, here are her answers:
Name: Katrina Linde-Moriarty

Age: 17 5/6ths

DO - At what age did you start skating?
TT - I have been skating with my family once in a blue moon during my childhood. I was about 11 when I took to it with a fiery passion. Sometimes, I wonder where I got all the money to go pay for it.

DO - When did you first find roller derby?
TT - I think it’s better to say that roller derby found me. I was at Emerald City Skates (our local skate shop) browsing around and found a flier for a junior roller derby camp. I had played soccer before, but the idea of a game played on roller skates sounded too good to be true. In short, I knew absolutely nothing about the sport. I applied for a scholarship and found myself a few weeks later completely in love. It was truly love at first sight or skate. (Sorry for the cheesiness of it but it's true.)

DO - You have been skating with ECJG (not ECRG) since it began. What was the best thing about skating with your league?
TT - I love the fact that I was able to help mold it into what it is now. If I had to pin-point one thing, it would have to be watching it grow so much in such a small about of time. Even though we have had some struggles in the past, we have pulled through them all and have become even stronger. I can never wait to see where my league’s path will take it.

DO - Is there a skater or team you see as an inspiration to you in roller derby?
TT - There are many skaters that I admire from afar but not that I feel akin to. As for teams, this is also had to name for me. Each season is so different for me and for all the teams out there. You are always learning new skills and adding new players. This means that a team you know and love one season can come back the next completely new. This is one reason I love derby, but it makes it hard to choose. If any I would have to say, Rocky Mountain because I love their powerful jammers with great endurance and their strong solid walls. When I feel in a rut, I watch my copy of RMRG vs. DRD at West Regionals in 2009.

DO - Now that you are graduating from ECRG's Jr Gems and going into ECRG's Fresh Meat, what do you think will be the biggest challenge?
TT - This might seem silly but I think the biggest challenge for me will be learning to play with/against women bigger than me. For the last three years I have been one of the bigger/older girls on my team. Soon I will be playing with women of more varied body sizes. It will be interesting to see how my game will change to accommodate this difference.

DO - How do you feel Jr Derby has prepared you for the adult leagues?
TT - I think that is has helped me greatly to understand the game more fluidly. I didn't have to feel pressured by my peers or coaches to get learn things quickly or do things right the first time. There was definitely more room to try new things and find my own style because I did not have to worry being judged by others. Not to say that this does not happen with the adults, I just think that as a junior skater we have more liberty to do so.

DO - What advice would you give skaters just starting out in Jr Derby?
TT - I would say, "Sit back and enjoy the ride." Roller derby has its up's and down's but it will always surprise you. You might hit a plateau and think that you can't go any further, but that only lets you look around at all the friends and family you have by your side before you start climbing again. And lastly, this is your final and only warning: “Derby will take over your life… in a good way of course!”

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget about Victoria Deck'em who was the very first SDB to graduate almost 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete