Thursday, August 25, 2011

Featured skater for August - Thumpurr!

For the final Featured Skater this season, I went with Seattle Derby Brats' Thumpurr.  Thumpurr has worked hard over the mere 2 seasons she has had with the brats.  She made it onto the travel team (Galaxy Girls) almost immediately and has been a fantastic addition to the blocking corps.  This season, we say farewell as she has turned 18 and will be moving on to adult derby. She is the first graduate from SDB who will be heading to an adult league in the Seattle area!

I hear she is looking to transfer to Jet City through their generous transfer allowance for graduating juniors... but then I hear she might be waiting to see which way Rat City leans in their rumored discussions!

Either way, Thumpurr, congratulations!  I am sure you will be a great benefit to whichever team/league you land on!

Also?  Note that she started skating with Nova High School's roller derby squad.  They may only scrimmage against themselves, but this season I happen to know that a few more will be trying out for SDB.  It's great to see a school recognizing the benefits of roller derby!


I caught up with Thumpurr to ask her a few question a month or so back.

Name: Thumpurr

At what age did you start skating?
I started skating when I was 17 at Nova High School, we had a class called the Super Nova Skate Squad. In secret we were training to become the Roller Derby Ladies we dreamed about like the local Rat City Rollergirls.

When did you first find roller derby?
A few skaters from Seattle Derby Brats donated their time to teach us skating skills, techniques, the game and hitting drills in our tiny little gymnasium of Nova. Between my skating class and seeing the Rat City Rollergirls skated like I became so obsessed it was all I talked about for months on end and still even to this day. Within the first few months I got my own pair of skates, started going to open skates at every Roller Rink I could find within a 10 mile radius.

What was the best thing about skating with your league?
Skating with Seattle Derby Brats gave me a new community that shared my same obsession, which was a relief since I had such a fiery passion that it was all I could think about everyday. It was wonderful to be able to share every little weird thing from the latest skating move I had learned to a new pair of socks with everyone. Between having so much love and community within our league, our incredible coaches is what really pushed me to appreciate our league. Krista Betty Ford Galaxy, my travel team coach, has been such a wonderful support and has taught me so much that I don't think I would have had the opportunities to be the skater that I am today without giving credit to her coaching.

Is there a skater or team you see as an inspiration to you in roller derby?
I don't think I could ever choose one skater or team to ever say just they had inspired me, every skater that goes out there and attempts to do what we do is inspiring and they all have their own drives for playing the sport. So really everyone I see inspires me to become a better skater and to share this sport with the world.

Which is your favorite team to play against and why?
My Favorite team to play against would have to be the Portland Rosebuds. Have you ever seen their sternum chucks? They put up a great fight against us and are a great group of ladies to chat with as well. So silly and wonderful.

You are the first SDB skater who will be going to a local adult league. How do you feel Jr Derby has helped prepare you for the "big leagues?"I think that as the first SDB to transfer into an adult league, Jr. Derby has helped in so many ways. Beyond just learning basic skating skills, our progressive league talks about and practices what makes the sport really sparkle: the strategy. With all kinds of learning style coaches it gave me a well-rounded understanding and practice of derby that I can take with me to an adult league.

What advice would you give skaters just starting out in Jr Derby?Don't forget how wonderful, inspiring and empowering you are to others and most importantly yourself. This sport is about what satisfaction and happiness it gives you, so no matter what might get in your way whether it's everyday life things, an injury or personal frustration. Just remember the first day you put on a pair of skates and suddenly everything clicked for you and you knew that you had to pursue the sport from that day on.

1 comment:

  1. I played with Thumpurr when we were on the SDB team. I loved having her as a team mate.

    ReplyDelete